Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Elusive Oberdahlhoffs-Johann auf der Heide Marriage Date Found!

by Darcy Kleeman Boock
16 October 2007

With the help of Helga and Gerhard Johann auf der Heide, I now have a marriage date of 2 Nov 1798 for Johann Hindrich Johann auf der Heide and Anna Maria Elisabeth Oberdahlhoffs. Helga also verified my assumption that Johann Hindrich had been married previously, however, I never would have guessed that he had been married first to an ancestor of Gerhard's!

I had searched through those marriage records about 5 times and came to the conclusion that the marriage took place other than Lienen. I checked once more tonight since I had an exact date to look for and I finally found it, but it wasn't easy. The marriage records on the microfilm I was looking at this evening ended Oct. 1798. So what happened to Nov. and Dec.? On the last page of these marriage records there was a small notation (in German script) that said, "Seite 104 befindet sich am Schluß des ______."

AH HA! Find page 104 at the end of "something". I scrolled through death records for Lienen 1833-1898 and finally found the lone page 104 at the end of those and the elusive marriage record!. Joh. Hind. Joh. auf der Hiede was 49 years old when he married Anne Marie Elisabeth Oberdalhoffs, who was 28. Some of the wording is lost in the centerfold of the book, but my guess is that it says, "2ten Ehe" or his second wife.

I made a poor copy of this marriage record before the printer didn't work at all any more. Hopefully I can make another copy when the machine is repaired. I also found 5 of the 9 children from Joh. Hind. Joh. auf der Heide's first marriage before I ran out of time. I will search for the remaining children either Sat. or next week.

1. 24 Jun 1782 Johann Hindrich
2. 15 Feb 1784 Ernst Rudolf
3. 23 Jan 1786 Catharina Sophia Elisabeth
4. 8 Aug 1787 Anna Catharina Marie
5. 23 May 1789 Johan Berndt Friedrich Wilhelm

Joh. Hind. Johann auf der Heide's correct birth date should be 4 Jan 1749. I had found this birth/baptismal record earlier, but I wasn't sure it was the correct person until Helga verified this date. Anna Maria Elisabeth Oberdahlhoffs' correct birth date should be 5 Dec 1770.

Darcy

No comments: