Monday, January 29, 2007

Schapekahm, Weddendorf, Ruemke, Huevelmann Gathering

This is an extraordinary photo postcard of several prominent New Ulm families that are related to each other. Represented are the Schapekahm, Weddendorf, and Ruemke families and Albert Peter Boock. On the parlor wall is a photo portrait of Adolph Klause, who married Ida Boock (A.P.'s older sister) in 1892.

[Photo IDs by Jim Graupner, based on notations by Emma Aufderheide Boock. ]
[Lower left: Mr & Mrs Gehardt Schapekahm, Arnold Weddendorf, Mrs. John Weddendorf, Bertha Ruemke (behind chair) Adelaide Schapekahm? (arrow), Klara Weddendorf?, Fred Schapekahm, and Adolph Schapekahm.Upper left: Adolph Klause portrait, Herman Schapekahm, William Huevelmann, John Weddendorf (with mustache), Oliva Raabe, Bertha Ruemke, Emma Ruemke, Lydia Schapekahm, Waldmar Huevelmann, Caroline Huevelmann, Herman Schapekahm, Lena Ruemke and Albert Peter Boock.]

The postcard was sent from New Ulm by Emma Elisa Ruemke (Mrs. A. P.) Boock to Emma Aufderheide (Mrs. Arthur L.) Boock, Spencer, Wisconsin, on 14 February 1910. The inscription reads: "Dear Cousin: The ornament I sent you was not a gift from me but from [Minnie and Louis] Broe[c]ker's. It arrived here a week or so after Xmas with the family presents. This postal will be of interest to you there are but a few of the specimens on here. With regards to the Boock family. [signed] Emma Elisa."





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
Thanks for posting this fantastic photo!
I came across this blog just by chance as I was researching the history of my house which is located in New Ulm. I'm pretty sure that the John Weddendorf (mustache) pictured in this post card is the son of Hermann Weddendorf, who built my house in 1870. John Weddendorf then acquired the house from Hermann in 1881.
I was wondering... Do you have any information about what the Weddendorf side of your family did for a living and possibly what brought Hermann Weddendorf and family to New Ulm? I found some info stating that John Weddendorf was possibly an assistant postmaster. But I'm not exactly positive.

Again I am just curious as to the history of my house. By the way, the Weddendorf family was living in my house for over a century.
Thanks in adavance!

-Adam in NEW ULM