Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Christian Frederick Boock Letter: 25 December 1865


[Letter from Marilyn Boock Schmidt collection; typed by Darcy Kleeman Boock]
[Colorized detail of Christian Friederich Boock, taken on the occasion of his marriage to Wilhelmine Plath in 1857. jfg collection]

New Ulm, December 25, 1865


Dear Brother-in-law,


I have received your letter of April written by William, as well as the letter of November 26. The first one was a happy one, but the second saddened us very much. Although Christmas is a time of joy for every Christian, yet the news that my sister had died was like a funeral to us. It is true, we all have to pass through death out of this world, but I’m sure, your children will miss their loving mother who lived such an exemplary life at all times, instructed them well, here’s hoping her instructions will not have been wasted by careless living. She was a Godfearing and righteous woman and a loving mother. Everyone will observe whether the children will take after her and her living. A good, but terrible example you find in Frank Jönke, which is the result of the parent’s proud upbringing of their children who then believed they were better than any other children. He showed his vain character when he dealt with me as though I were his servent, after I had returned from my travels, I had a better look of life than he. He left home as s chest manufacturer and returned somewhat more stupid. When I left home, I knew nothing about chest building, but through experience I acquired knowledge sufficiently that I landed a job in woodworking in Berlin. He earned considerable monies, but squandered it, but when I returned, I brought about $100 along. He prided himself on his education, but of what use is it, if you live the life of a pig which everyone despises. I don’t like to brag, but here and wherever I have lived, I have always been considered a gentleman. At present we have founded an Evangelical congregation and decided to build a church. I have been selected as a member of the church council and authorized to supervise the building of the church.
Pride cometh before the fall, which is true, so it is necessary for us to remain humble, and not aim for superior goals, but be satisfied with the simple things in life.
Dear brother-in-law I addressed myself to your children whom I also love and wish to remind them with a warning which I know you will not be lacking to bring them up to become honorable citizens. It is very difficult for us to express our sincere sadness over the loss of your wife, and only the thought of the hereafter solaces us, when our time comes to leave this earth that we will again meet in a better place. Though her death is a terrible blow for us, we still will say “The Lord’s ways are wonderful and the earth is full of His makings.”
Concerning me and my family I can’t thank the Lord enough for our health which He has given us. And further I pray for continued health not for riches, because a healthy person is rich enough to be able to work while I can, my rule is this “Hard work makes life sweet.” We, too, have begun preparations for the Christmas season, as such as the sadness of sister’s death permits. The children above all rejoice the most for the simple gifts which they receive just like in Old Germany.
There isn’t much to write about our political problems. The war is over and everything is moving along in a normal way. Slavery has ended. This was one of the most despicable blemishes on the Republic.
In my last letter I mentioned that some children of my brother intended to come to America, but must have changed their minds and didn’t come. When I told my renter about their coming, he moved off the farm. So when they did not come, the farm remained empty, by which I lost considerable money. However I had others plant the cultivated land, so I did not lose all. I now have another renter.
Dear William, your portrait (photo) in the last letter made us all happy. I am sending herewith our portrait of my wife and me, which I hope, you will accept with the best of wishes and they may be found acceptable to you.
Many hearty greetings from me, my wife, and children to all of you and wish you a Happy New Year and hope all are well. Please answer soon.

Your beloved brother-in-law


Friederich Boock

The photographers here haven’t acquired the skill yet of producing good portraits like those in Berlin, as you have noticed in studying our portraits.

No comments: